Congratulations to John for winning our international podcast competition.
Without doubt john has the turntable skills, which are evident for all to hear on this mix.
The varied underground house styles and a proper sense of a start middle and end on this mix mad it easier for us to choose his as the winning mix.
We hope you dig this mix as much as we do.
1. Osunlade – What Gets You High – (Yoruba Soul)
2. Pablo Inzunza – Divine Promise [Deep House Collective Vol. 1] – (i! Records)
3. Kito Jempere – Confusion [Jacob Corn’s Deep Mix] – (Freerange)
4. Junior Gee – Reverse In Time [Kerfuffle EP] – (8 Bit records)
5. Soulfunktion – Every Step With You [Soulfunkion Deep Summer Dub] – (Soulfunktion Records)
6. Footsounds & Deep Serenity Feat. Siya – All For You (Multi Soul Recordings)
7. Ed Meme Feat. Myles Sanko – Oh yes I Will [Remixes] – (Breakin’ Bad Records)
8. Chris Nigel – Breakin’ Down – (Modulate Goes Digital)
9. Boy Orlando – Breaking Down – (Playmore)
10. Josh Milan – Fort Greene’s Theme [Honeysweet EP] – (Vega Records)
11. Peven Everett – Power Soul Intro [Accapella] – (Soul Heaven)
I got the house music bug back in the early 90’s with a particular love of the U.S. house sound. I’ve been buying all things house ever since, from balearic vibes to soulful house and techno! I started DJ’ing in the early nineties, putting on my own La Casa house parties around venues in Liverpool. Across the years I have also played alongside many DJ’s including the likes of Derrick Carter, Tony Humphries, Sasha, Kenny Dope, Kerri Chandler, Danny Rampling, John Marsh, Norman J, Jazzy B and X-Press 2 to name drop a few! …plus some equally brilliant DJ’s who weren’t big names!
Some of my favourite gigs from the past have included playing at venues such as Cream, Circus, The End, The Hippo Club-Cardiff, Club UK Midlands and also many popular underground nights in Liverpool including the Eve Bar, Lemon Lounge and the infamous Cookie Dough parties!
I have also been clubbing since the early nineties and have partied all over the UK, taking my musical influences from partying at some memorable venues including Hard Times, Full Circle, Southport Weekenders, Hacienda, Cream, Ministry of Sound and more recently, Suncebeat.
My musical taste could best be described as eclectic, but definitely H.O.U.S.E! When I play, I like to take the music across different styles but always with a familiar underground style that I’d like to think identifies my style as a DJ.
DJ gigs are less frequent these days and most of my DJ’ing was done back in the 90’s and 2000’s when every man and his dog didn’t DJ and you didn’t have to be an artist or producer to get decent gigs!!!